Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night High

For the first time in my life, I actually got up early to vote today. For those who know me, I don't get up early for anything (including my wedding). I walked into the voting booth and voted with no false expectations about my vote actually counting on a national level. I 've been born and raised in a blue state and I accept that. However, I've been wired in to the election news coverage for months and now that the day is actually here, I am more inspired and adrenalized than I ever thought I would be about an election.

Regardless of who wins, voting will never be the same, nor should it be. It is inspiring to see people like me all over the country lining up to vote. I watched a piece on CNN where a school district in Florida actually registered all of their high school age voters at their respective school districts and then bussed the students to the various polling locations to make sure they voted. And here's the kicker - the kids were excited to do it. At 7:15 this morning, I actually was to. It's a great privilege to take an active role in shaping the path of history in some small way and I think nation-wide people want to participate in it. That's why you are getting the lines of people who aren't complaining about the wait. They can say they waited in line to participate in history. It's become a badge of honor nationwide. I'm so proud of our citizens for being so motivated. Well done.

No comments: