Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Inspired

I am inspired. Simple as that. As with many Americans last night I stayed glued to my television set watching what many of us felt would be history unfolding. Last night did not disappoint. For the first time in my adult life I was not working in a newsroom or at a campaign headquarters on the night of an election. The evening at home was bitter-sweet, yet the result was no less energizing and inspiring.

As with many in my generation, I have become jaded by politicians that 'represent' us in Albany and Washington and had little faith in their ability to actually inspire those who put them in office. Last night my faith in our ability as a people to unite was renewed. From the early morning hours of people waiting hours in line across the country, to the massive crowds on the streets of Washington, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago and New York and around the world. They all felt that this was their election. It was nothing less.

We are experiencing history because of what we did as a people. As I listened to Barack Obama's speech last night, it glowed with unity, not vanity. He reminds me of true leaders of change in America's history - Dr. Martin Luther King and President Kennedy. They served as the beacon of hope for so many. This morning that light will bring the world to a place in history yet to been seen.

In my short 29 years I cannot recall a time in history where we were truly united as one voice other than September 11, 2001. Politics faded and our common humility as a united people were chilling - in that case due to a tragedy. But today we are the United States of America for the first time in a long time. I watched the hundreds of thousands of people on television and their faces said it better than anyone anywhere can ever say it - there is hope.

No comments: