Thursday, October 23, 2008

Reflecting on a Year of Huge Change

Today I am officially 29 and hanging on to the last year of my twenties by the bottom rung. I typically don't reflect too much on my birthday but I experienced such massive amounts of joy, sadness and change this year, that will likely never be paralleled.

Last year around this time I had left my horrific and corrupt job at the Victor Central School District and began working at Element K which someone who turned out to be a very dear and important friend in my life (Megan). We had both come from horrible previous jobs and were looking fora fresh start. Not only did we find it in EK, but in each other. Although we were both forced to find other employment by early November, our experience at EK and the bonds of friendship were planted. While counting down our days at EK, Megan's father became quite sick and we talked daily about his progress and prognosis. For a good stroke of irony, Scott had just been discharged from the hospital with a serious Staph infection, and the following week I was hospitalized for a severe asthma attack which turned into bronchitis. Just days after I was discharged, Scott had a second Staph infection breakout. Needless to say, my 28th year had a very rough beginning.

Just days before Christmas I was offered a new job at Mindex Technologies while Megan went on to work at Eagle Productivity. And, the week before Christmas I found out I was going to be an Aunt! After much anticipation my sister-in-law and her husband were going to have their first child and it was ultimately determined that she was due the week of our wedding (August 30).

In the coming months, Megan's father Milton passed away. Hundreds of people attended his wake and just weeks later, Milt's next grandson was born, Ryan. In early February by beloved father turned 60 years old, which he never thought would happen. The celebration was quite moving.

After much frustration with her current employer, Megan came on board at Mindex and now we're right back to where we were nearly a year ago, working side by side - we couldn't be happier.

I have now learned that planning a wedding takes every square amount of energy out of you and brides do become a little unstable toward the end. After months of planning and anticipation, the birth of my nephew and my wedding went like clockwork. Baby Chase was born three weeks early on July 30 - a month to the day before our wedding. And something totally unexpected happened. Kelly, Joe and Chase were all able to be at our wedding. None of us thought that would have been possible.

And on August 30 I married the love of my life. I never thought I would find someone who truly completes me while accepting me unconditionally for the kook that I am. But somehow, in the depths of despair at the most corrupt job that I have ever had, I ended up meeting and falling in love with my current husband. So, on this first day of my 29th year, I am writing as Mrs. Hochreiter. I look back on our wedding often, despite it being only two months ago and think of all of the family and friends who traveled so far to be with us. I think part of me realizes that I will never have that many loved ones from all over the world in one room again. I hope I'm wrong.

Now I sit here at Mindex writing as Mrs. Hochreiter and Auntie Kara. A year ago, those possibilities were a small flicker in the distance. In closing just weeks ago I lost my cousin Devin Caccamise at the young age of 27. Devin's parents are very special people in my life and just weeks earlier were living it up at our wedding. I have no choice but to reflect on the joy and sadness that has carried me in the last year.

In the coming weeks we will elect either the first African American president or the first female vice president. We will likely see massive shifts in economic and social policy - changes that I have never seen in my lifetime. Let's see what 29 brings.

No comments: